Monday, August 29, 2011

try to see it from their eyes...

Nearly 40 years ago, my sister Sandy was crawling around on the floor. 

"What the heck are you doing?"

"I'm trying to see the world from their eyes."

Seems she had read a Redbook article on toddlers, and how the world could be a big and frightening place.  She wanted so badly to see what her two boys saw...the good, the bad, and the dangerous.  ("Oh, look at all the electric cords to chew on!")

When my son was three and four years old, he couldn't communicate, although he could name hundreds of objects.  Nouns were his thing.  I had no way of knowing how much he understood, how much was just babble to him, like the adults in Peanuts cartoons, and it was frustrating.





Wish I could have heard the world through his ears...

No comments: