Sunday, October 21, 2012

Odds and ends...dyslexia and autism

http://kyraanderson.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/seeing-the-forest-for-the-trees/  

Kyra tells a tale of growing and her Aspergers's son. My favorite line?

And an open heart is the wisest mind we have.

You GO Girl!!!


Next, Dr. Naomi (Nim) Folb, in the UK.  She planted the seed that dyslexics (somewhat like autistics) think in pictures. The lot of labelled kids may be no more than right-brained thinkers.  Simarly to the left-handed, sinister children of the last century, we are trying, by drugs and therapies, to tie their right minds behind their back so they can be normal, that ever elusive medical model of health.

http://r-a-s-p.co.uk/blog/2012/10/20/dyslexia-and-visual-thinking


She leads with wisdom, too.

Which all remind me of the words of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry .  I remember reading The Little Prince up on the roof of our family home. (I was sun-tanning. Why I remember this, heavens knows.) These words just reverberated, so 30 years later when I was beginning my work as a teacher in a special needs classroom I used them on the blackboard to remind me:


"It’s only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
It's amazing the difference it made in how I saw the kids.  I wish I could put into words their worthiness, while in the world's eyes they were seen as imperfect, money wasted on teaching them as they would never be "productive" citizens. Good God, they were the teachers!!!




No comments: