Sunday, November 10, 2013

ABA ...your story.

I don't want to know your defense of ABA.  I want to know your story, and why you think it works.  I was a practitioner for 7 months at a residential school based on ABA tenents.  I know your trials.  I know 90% of the teachers were beautiful effective behavior managers, very kind and loving and always having the kids best interests at heart.  I know many of the kids were placed there because they couldn't go to their home schools, they were too severely impacted to take part in a typical school system.  Some kids lived there because their parents were unable to handle their behaviors at home.

My complaint, and I do have one...is the lack of free will afforded to the children.  Skinner did not believe in it.   I could have chosen to use ABA methods on my son, and in a way I did.  But the difference between what I did for my child is, he always had a CHOICE.


2 comments:

Michael Maloney said...

I am a behavior analyst because I need tools that work better than anything else available. My centres and colleagues have successfully taught more than 100,000 children and adults better literacy & numeracy skills over the past 4 decades. I rarely have a student who is distressed or unwilling to participate. That is because we create success and then comment on it to the child. They learn that they are not "Stupid" as they often report when they arrive.
Exactly what is your objection to behavior analysis and what consistently successful method would you use instead
?

usethebrains godgiveyou said...

That's part of my curiosity. What consistently successful method would I use? I don't know. Some parents swear by it, and to a great degree, the most vocal proponents are parents of children who have no speech, ironically. Possibly because that can indicate the severity of maladaptive behaviors.


My objection to ABA is exactly as I stated. I tend to be forthright--

ABA tends to the out side behaviors, what can be seen. Many kids with autism are far, far brighter than their behavior gives notion to. And many of their actions would be logical, if we saw with their eyes, rather than our own. ABA is subjective. Touchy-feely..but I read a study the other day that showed a child whose "behaviors" diminished as his punishment was faded. Do you see, the punishment was responsible! I think ABA can be more for the teachers, who need constructs not to "act out" against a child for behaviors they see as negative.