Saturday, September 6, 2014

Dyslexic Advantage: Picture THIS!!





Dr.'s Brock and Fernette Eide wrote the seminal book, Dyslexic Advantage.  Watch the video above, where Dr. Fernette Eide talks about the current science that indicates dyslexia is not a lack, but a difference, and there are studies that show Dyslexic brains take totally different pathways.


Cognitive Mind Strengths Profile--Dyslexic Advantage






The most interesting thing she covered was the typical profile of the Dyslexic Child.  Schools teach children to be clerical...to quickly and efficiently, and some might say, mindlessly spit back the information they have been taught. This is also known as "rote memorization", and it is almost singular to success in school.  It is also why Dyslexics so seldom have success in school, but can be outstandingly successful in life.

I loved this, because this is my son, too. It explains so much.  School was hell for both of us. But he is probably one of the smartest people I know.



The flow chart below gives some ideas of  what tests concern: Now...this is the Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale, and the correlation of similar tests, where they fit in, and some of the names of tests only alluded to by letters above. For example, PSI=Processing Speed Index and is part of the perfomance, not the verbal I.Q.  It is an indication of processing speed, and is related to symbol search and digit symbol coding...whatever that means.  I will look for better explanations in time.

2 comments:

D Marcotte said...

Thanks for sharing. I have struggled with how school is teaching my children for years. In a way our oldest (who is autistic) is lucky because she didn't have to deal with the timed tests etc - she has an individualized education program that allows her to do the work without being timed and sometimes in some very creative ways. Unfortunately our younger daughter doesn't have any special needs and is expected to follow the school/teacher rules.

I will admit I have taken the position that I am going to teach her how to 'beat' the tests so she scores well (yes there is an actual method for taking timed tests and multiple choice test better)

Because she reads above level and does well in her other subjects I feel like it is the best way to get her through grade school.

Thanks for sharing.

usethebrains godgiveyou said...

Your welcome. I'm glad you found it helpful. My son also had a diagnosis of Autism...but when we started homeschooling I became aware that he fit the profile of a dyslexic!! Also...when I asked if he was bullied in school, he said,"Yeah, bullied by the curriculum." I know of 60 year olds who were originally diagnosed as dyslexic, who later got the label of autism. I choose dyslexia, because it is actually more helpful...it tells me why he worked on homework for hours and had such a hard time in math. As I meet adult dyslexics, I can see the similarities.

I homeschooled, and I would be damned if I wasn't going to give him the extra time for tests that he got in public school, ha! I'm kind of a pistol though.

Thanks for visiting!