Friday, July 1, 2011

Do you see?

Sally Gardner,  possibly a nom de plume, is a writer.  I know her from twitter where nearly every day she gives a link to build up the gentle heart of dyslexics like herself. People who are different, not defective.

Miss Gardner gave a link to a you-tube video.  I found the second part, which was even more amazing.  (Please watch both. You will see true genius. I see my son.  No longer mentally ill, because I don't like that moniker...so I decide life is what I make it, even if it is within a silly old woman's mind. LOOK AT THESE EXTRAORDINARY CHILDREN.   LOOK AT THE CHILDREN.  WHY CANT THIS BE DONE FOR AUTISM? )

There is no difference between dyslexia and autism.  At least in my son.  I think his birth father probably suffered from dyslexia. Many children suffer.  Mainly because of how they are treated.  I truly hope my son excels because of it.  It's all in the mind's eye.


"Two men look out the same prison bars; one sees mud and the other stars.” Frederick Langbridge







Amazingly coincidentally...Uta Frith posted a tweet regarding dyslexia 20 seconds after I thanked Sally Gardner.

It regarded a study. About the defects in the dyslexic brain. Ugh...here's a taste:

Abstract Top

DCDC2 is one of the candidate susceptibility genes for dyslexia. It belongs to the superfamily of doublecortin domain containing proteins that bind to microtubules, and it has been shown to be involved in neuronal migration. We show that the Dcdc2 protein localizes to the primary cilium in primary rat hippocampal neurons and that it can be found within close proximity to the ciliary kinesin-2 subunit Kif3a. Overexpression of DCDC2 increases ciliary length and activates Shh signaling, whereas downregulation of Dcdc2 expression enhances Wnt signaling, consistent with a functional role in ciliary signaling. Moreover, DCDC2 overexpression in C. elegans causes an abnormal neuronal phenotype that can only be seen in ciliated neurons. Together our results suggest a potential role for DCDC2 in the structure and function of primary cilia.


Coincidence? Maybe...

I've been mulling it over in my mind, my distaste for the very science that used to account for my deepest thoughts.  It now seems so shallow...because it harms the very soul of my son, where art proclaims it.

No comments: