Monday, May 30, 2011

Madame Curie Quotes

http://www.quotationspage.com/author.php?author=Marie+Curie



When I was a kid, I was SUCH A NERD.  I lived in a fantasy that I would one day be a GREAT SCIENTIST.  Life has a way of interfering with our dreams.  The women I so admired, Madame Curie, Margaret Mead, Pearl S. Buck....I really believed I would grow up to be like them...a scientist, a an anthropologist, a writer. Well, in my own way, in a very minor scale...

This is a tribute to the little girl inside all of us.

I do have a neice, who, in the love of all things science that so many of us little decendants of  Rags (my father) have, is a scientist.  God bless her humble heart.   Kudo's and prayers to her.




I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale. 


Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.


You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most helpful. 


We must not forget that when radium was discovered no one knew that it would prove useful in hospitals. The work was one of pure science. And this is a proof that scientific work must not be considered from the point of view of the direct usefulness of it. It must be done for itself, for the beauty of science, and then there is always the chance that a scientific discovery may become like the radium a benefit for humanity.


One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done.


There are sadistic scientists who hurry to hunt down errors instead of establishing the truth.


No comments: